Saturday, August 3, 2013

Phonological confusion!

I had an awesome July this year. I taught summer school for Pre K Language Enrichment and barely finished on July 3rd......the day before my birthday!!

animated 4th of july clip art fireworks

That's right! I worked up until my birthday on the 4th of July!! That is crazy!

Just when I thought I was really going to be able to hit the beach and relax......time flew....and it was the end of July.....conference time!

Don't get me wrong, I love learning new techniques and research , but MAN....it came quick.

The first day was good, got to San Antonio, Texas.....from Brownville, Texas...a good hour plane ride away and was ready to go. I had 2 awesome teachers from my campus and our facilitator (coolest chick ever) with me. We walked the Riverwalk.....ate at Ritas....yum yum if you like texmex food and margaritas which are both my weaknesses.


RITA'S ON THE RIVER
 
 



The Next morning,......CONFERENCE TIME!!!
 
Got my handy dandy notebook and a cool pen of course!
 
 
My first session was titled:
 
Developing Phonological Awareness Skills
 
 
 This was a base line of what we should be doing in our classrooms to help that 35% who struggle become successful by Kinder.
We were taught some interesting tricks such as word play and helping and overstimulated child focus on certain sounds instead of overloading them with too many at once.
I loved the fact that they focused so much on Nursery Rhymes. I am definitely going to be doing a letter of the week alliteration rhyme with my students from now on.
 
Letter B
 
Bary had a bittle bamb
bittle bamb
bittle bamb
bary had a bittle bamb
his beece was bhite as bow
 
Yup! Super cute!!
 
Another very interesting thing that I learned was that you should introduce one concept at a time. Whether it be rhyming, alliteration, syllabication, words in a sentence or onset and rime. For years I have been mixing them up weekly..............PEOPLE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK.......am I all wrong? It seems to have worked. I would do :
 
Monday: Letter intro
Tuesday: Rhyming 1
Weds: Rhyming 2
Thursday: Syllables
 
and so on.....
 
but they are saying NO!
 
they say :
 
3 weeks listening skills
then however many weeks rhyming only
then more weeks doing syllables
 
IM SO CONFUSED!
 
But i'm gonna try it this year I guess.....I mean it makes sense , but will it hold back the ones that are ready to move onto that skill. Tell me what you think! please............

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment